On 20 January 2014 the Department of Communications released a consultation paper – Enhancing Online Safety for Children (linked here). The paper sets out the Government’s intention to:
- Establish a Children’s e-Safety Commissioner that will attend to complaints concerning children and online services;
- Introduce a scheme for the rapid removal of material that is harmful to children from social networking sites;
- Introduce a cyber-bulling offence to address instances of cyber-bullying of children.
- IGEA does not support the establishment of a Children’s e-Safety Commissioner or the rapid removal scheme;
- Online games should not form part of any regulation; and
- The Australian Government should focus on voluntary collaboration with social media sites rather than regulation.