Recognising we all have a role to play in flattening the curve and stopping the spread of COVID-19, IGEA is talking to our many industry stakeholders about the entertainment they are consuming and how they are practising self-isolation and social distancing. We know many of our connections love digital games and we love to seeing what they are playing, what they recommend playing and if they have any tips or resources to share with the community as they #PlayApartTogether during
these unusual times
Recently we spoke with Professor Jeffrey Brand for our #PlayApartTogether series. You may recognise Jeff as the author of our DANZ research reports
What tasks are you undertaking to keep yourself (and/or your family) occupied during these times of self-isolation, and physical and social distancing?
- Work, work, study, work.
- Home maintenance, cleaning, updating.
- All five of us are building in Minecraft on PC, creative mode. Even Mum is now playing, finally! Others are in a range of games, kids online with friends, Mum and Dad more single-player on phones.
- Streaming TV series – catching up on popular shows on Netflix, Stan, Apple TV+, Disney+, and Amazon Prime … yep, there is one we want to watch on each service … of course.
- Walks and exercise at home.
Why these particular activities?
- Fewer commute hours.
- Fewer office watercooler chats.
- Fewer alternative activities
- No gym time.
- Resetting priorities, given the opportunity.
What games are you playing?
Minecraft on (PC), I Love Hue Too (iOS), Sudoku 2 Pro (iOS), Wordscapes (iOS)
Do you play games alone or with others?
Minecraft I play with others and the rest I play alone.
What games are your family playing?
Star Wars: KOTO, Mincraft Dungeons, Dragon Quest, XPlane
Are there any games you recommend?
Destroy All Humans! is the game I’m anticipating! What better romp and fun in a global pandemic?
What resources do you recommend to assist parents and carers manage and monitor game play for their children?
Play games with your children. Just do it. Make the time. You’ll bond like never before, and you’ll understand their personalities better!