Sold out PAX Australia videogame festival begins in one week!
Friday 12 July, 2013 – The first international Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) will begin in Australia next week from the 19th to 21st of July. The show completely sold out of tickets in March of this year and features a robust expo hall, console, PC, and tabletop gaming, two nights of game themed concerts, and over 60 panels and presentations.
Featured Sessions and Events
- Opening keynote by Ron Gilbert, creator of iconic LucasArts adventure games such as Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island.
- Q&A sessions with Penny Arcade founders Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik.
- Exclusive Rooster Teeth presentation featuring Burnie Burns, Gus Sorola, and Jack Pattillo from Red vs Blue and Achievement Hunter.
- International developers such as BioWare and Gearbox Software flying from across the world to discuss the past and future of their respective franchises with their Australian fanbase.
- Microsoft showcasing the XBOX ONE for the first time in Australia during a series of live stage presentations.
- The Omegathon, where 24 random people compete for a trip to PAX PRIME in Seattle, WA in a series of games over the course of 3 days until the final battle in the main theatre on Sunday night.
- MC Frontalot – The founder of Nerdcore Hip-Hop [USA]
- The Protomen – Mega Man inspired rock opera band [USA]
- The Minibosses – International gaming music coverband [USA]
- 7bitHero – Unique digital upbeat chiptune/rock band [Brisbane, AUS]
- SoundBytes – A selection of the best chiptune artists in Australia [Melbourne, AUS]
- Ubisoft is bringing a number of international developers, and will feature demonstrations and playable versions of games such as Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, Watch Dogs, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Flashback, Just Dance 2014, Rayman Legends, and much more.
- The Might & Magic: Duel of Champions ‘Road to Paris’ tournament will see one champion win a trip to the finals at Paris Game Week.
- Nintendo will host their Pokemon Video Game Australian National Championships, where winners can win a trip to the World Championships in Vancouver, Canada. For those bringing their Nintendo 3DS to the show for streetpassing and gaming, the publisher will be offering exclusive downloads at the show.
- RIOT Games will be hosting the first ever Australian League of Legends tournament, the Oceanic Season 3 finals. The top four teams are not only competing for $40,000 in prize money, but the chance to compete at the 2013 League of Legends World Championships.
- Wargaming will host a massive World of Tanks booth, with live demonstrations and a full sized tank.
- SEGA Creative Assembly will be giving a first look at their upcoming Total War: Rome II.
- Visit the Plants vs Zombies 2 cafe to get hands on withthe game.
- Other playable unreleased titles announced include Saints Row IV, Dynasty Warriors 8, Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Castlevania 2: Lords of Shadow, and upcoming Nintendo WiiU games.
- See the PAX Aus Indie Showcase, a selection of six of the best independent Australian developed games including: Antichamber, Black Annex, InFlux, DUET, Fractured Soul, and MacGuffin’s Curse.
- The ANZ Indie Pavillion will feature 28 of the most exciting Australian developers showcasing their new and soon to be released titles.
- Halfbrick Studios, developers of Fruit Ninja, will, for the first time,reveal their new unreleased title.
- Individual booths for local developers such as Disparity Games, Canvas Interactive, Con Artist Games, League of Geeks, The Binary Mill, Kactus Games, Current Circus, Stirfire Studio, Jigxor, Epiphany Games, Defiant Development, and Surprise Attack.
Other Featured Areas
- The Tabletop Area, sponsored by Magic: The Gathering, features freeplay, tournaments, and exhibitors for board games, card games, miniatures and more. In addition to structured events, Wizards of the Coast will be featuring Magic: The Gathering “Learn to Play” sessions, exclusive collectables, and a chance to win a trip to any PAX next year!
- The PC Area will have hundreds of high-end Intel PCs with over 25 pre-installed titles available for freeplay and tournaments.
- Recreate the living room gaming experience with over 100 consoles in the Console Freeplay and Tournament areas and a library of 500 titles to choose and play from.
- For the first time in Australia, play the acclaimed Johann Sebastian Joust.
- Get hands on with the new Virtual Reality headset – the Oculus Rift.
- Over 100 exhibitors showcasing their products and content.
PAX Australia will be the largest gaming festival to be held in Australia, and completely sold out of tickets back in March this year. Held at the Melbourne Showgrounds from 19-21 July, 2013, the show is being run by ReedPOP in conjunction with Penny Arcade.
Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com) is a web comic focused on video games and video game culture, written by Jerry Holkins and illustrated by Mike Krahulik. With over 3.5 million readers, it is the most popular and longest running gaming web comic online. Penny Arcade is also responsible for the Child’s Play Charity, the Penny Arcade gaming expos (PAX) in Seattle, Boston, and Melbourne, multiple videogames based on the brand, and multiple online video series.
PAX or Penny Arcade Expo (http://www.paxsite.com) is a festival for gamers to celebrate gaming culture. First held in Seattle in 2004, PAX has nearly doubled in size each successive year, with PAX Prime 2013 selling out of tickets in a matter of hours. Connecting the world’s leading game publishers with their most avid and influential fans, PAX expanded with a second show in Boston in 2010 making it the largest & second largest gaming show in the U.S. The first international PAX was announced to be held in Melbourne, Australia in 2013.
FOR MEDIA ENQUIRIES CONTACT
GUY ‘YUG’ BLOMBERG
Direct: +61 2 9422 2617
Mobile: +61 417 084 821