The ESA releases their annual report – 2012 Essential Facts About the Computer and Video Game Industry
The ESA have released their annual research report into Video Games in the US marketplace. You can find the report here.
Key highlights are:
- More Americans than ever are playing video game on smartphones, tablets and handheld devices and changing the way consumers enjoy computer and video games.
- 33 percent of gamers said they play social games and 15 percent said they pay to play online games.
- 98 percent of parents feel the ESRB rating system is either very or somewhat helpful in choosing games for their children
- 73 percent of parents said they believe the parental controls available in all video game consoles are useful.
- 49% of U.S. households own a dedicated game console, and those that do own an average of two
- The average game player is 30 years old, and 37 percent of game players are older than 36.
- 42% of game players believe that computer and video games give them the most value for their money, compared to DVDs, music or going out to the movies.
- 62% of gamers play games with others, either in-person or online.
- Consumers spent nearly $25 billion on game content, hardware and accessories in 2011.